Offer of cooperation
Research offer Institute of Environmental Engineering
The Institute of Environmental Engineering, which was established on 1 October1982, has its own educational and research facilities, including a building of 2600 m2 with well-equipped laboratories. The institute employs 43 people with a rich scientific experience. The Institute of Environmental Engineering consists of: the Department of Water, Sewage and Waste Technology, the Department of Geoengineering and Reclamation, the Department of Sanitary Networks and Installations, and the Central Laboratory of the Institute of Environmental Engineering. The most important areas in which we would like to cooperate are:
Department of Applied Ecology:
- Hydrobiological research – microscopic quantitative and qualitative analysis of microorganisms suspended in water (plankton);
- Tests for acute and chronic toxicity with the use of test organisms. Phyto-sociological research – plant cover as an indicator for land development;
- Research of mould fungi, including the assessment of mycotoxic risks in dwelling houses, e.g. in air-conditioning devices.
Department of Geoengineering and Reclamation:
- Heat accumulation with the use of the phase changes of PCM materials;
- Waste heat use from communal sewage as a ground source for heat pumps;
- Geothermal energy use;
- Binders from activated volatile brown coal dusts for stabilizing the ground for external networks.
- Recognition of soils in urban, industrial, communication and post-mining areas, and factors of their development;
- Wastes as anthropogenic soil-parent materials;
- Reclamation of urban, industrial, communication and post-mining areas with special attention to the reclamation of lignite, sand and gravel mines;
- Assessment of risks to landscape, soils, plants and waters, caused by industrialization and urbanization;
- Municipal green design.
Department of Sanitary Networks and Installations:
- Modelling of water supply and sewage networks;
- Analysis of the rainfall-runoff phenomenon for stormwater and combined catchments equipped with measuring instruments;
- Energy analyses for dwelling houses, public and office buildings;
- Modelling and stimulating technological systems of energy sources, heating and ventilation systems, building-energy source systems and RES systems;
- Operational analysis of heating systems;
- Optimization of energy management in urban areas.
Department of Sewage, Water and Waste Technology:
- Treatment of groundwater polluted by organic substances;
- Advanced technologies for communal and industrial wastewater treatment;
- Hydrophytic wastewater treatment;
- Methods of thermal and chemical disintegration of sewage sludge and wastes;
- Sewage sludge management;
- Biological treatment of wastes, especially the optimization of the methane fermentation process with biohydrogen production.
Central Laboratory of the Institute of Environmental engineering
The laboratory has implemented the management system ISO 9001:2000, which has been approved and given an accreditation certificate consistent with ISO 17025: No. AB 772. The laboratory can carry out analyses and research of:
- groundwater, surface water, drinking water, as well as technological research on water purification technologies;
- communal and industrial wastes, the choice and optimization of sewage treatment technologies in laboratory and semi-technological scale;
- sewage sludges from communal and industrial treatment plants, the biological microscopic analysis of active sludges;
- morphological and granulometric composition of wastes, leaching tests, AT4 tests, biogas production (UMB21);
- soils and land according to the standards specified for soil quality, required when communal sewage sludges are used in agriculture, for land reclamation, for agricultural and non-agricultural purposes, and when land is adapted for particular purposes resulting from waste management plans, spatial development plans or zoning administrative decisions.
Centre for Balanced Building and Energy
The CBBE building is a part of the Science and Technology Park of the University of Zielona Góra. In this building it is possible to do research and conduct classes in balanced building and effective energy production. The most important components of the building are the laboratory of heat and cold generation for heating and cooling purposes, and the cogeneration aggregate. The research laboratory has a number of devices for heat generation from different fuels. Renewable heat sources (flat and vacuum solar collectors) are a very important part of the technological research system. An innovative solution is the cold generation system for the air-conditioning installation in the building, which uses an absorption freezer powered by heat from the solar collectors. Important components of the research laboratory are the control and automation system as well as software and equipment used for recording and visualizing the operation parameters of each device are. A sensor system enables full visualization of all the operation parameters of the source at any point in the technological system.
Scientific and research offer of the Laboratory of the Institute of Structural Engineering
The Laboratory of the Institute of Structural Engineering is part of the Institute of Structural Engineering of the University of Zielona Góra. It is equipped with state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities that enable students to study on a very high level, the Institute staff to conduct advanced scientific research and to provide services to the industry such as expert opinions and research in a variety of fields. The equipment and qualified staff of the Laboratory make it possible to conduct the following types of research on a wide range of materials and components:
- endurance tests, deformation measurement tests,
- examination of physico-mechanical and structural characteristics of materials,
- geotechnical research.
The offer of particular Laboratories and Workshops belonging to the Laboratory of the Institute of Structural Engineering is as follows:
Laboratory of Building Materials
The Laboratory has a Chemical Laboratory in its structure, it is equipped with basic standard devices and control and measuring equipment enabling the examination of:
- raw materials, construction materials and products for their compliance with the requirements of the standards: PN (Polish standards) and PN-EN (European standards of Polish national status);
- mechanical, physical and chemical characteristics of such materials as: stone materials, aggregates, mineral binders including cement, gypsum binders and lime as well as raw materials and ceramic products, cement materials including: normal concrete, refractory concrete and cellular concrete, also small-size mineral road materials such as: cobblestones, pavements, curbs,
- Non-standard characteristics of materials and advanced studies using X-ray phase analysis and structural analysis as well as IR absorption spectroscopy (infrared radiation).
Selected equipment items: an XRD 3003 X-ray diffractometer, an FOX 314 thermal conductivity tester, a standard tester for binder and mortar specifications (an automatic mortar mixer, a waste sorting table), a laboratory mixer, a saw for cutting ceramic materials and concrete, a low temperature chamber, a standard tester for concrete waterproofness, a Bohme’s shield, a 300 T hydraulic press, a UV-Vis spectrophotometer, a fume cupboard, a chamber furnace, a rotary shaker, technical scales, analytical balances, dryers, water baths, magnetic stirrers (chemical laboratory equipment ).
Detailed offer of possible research in the Laboratory of Building Materials:
Examination of physical-mechanical and structural characteristics of materials:
- Density, apparent density, tightness, porosity, humidity, absorbency, abrasion, bonding time, shrinkage, swelling;
- Compression, stretching and bending strength;
- Qualitative and quantitative analyses of a wide range of materials (pure salts, their mixtures, oxides, hydroxides, complex mineral compounds: soil, rock formations, binders, mortars, concrete, ceramic, metals and their alloys);
- Determination of the thermal conductivity coefficient (polystyrene, foamed polyurethane, polocel, mineral wool, cellular concrete, porous ceramic products);
- Determination of the frost resistance of building materials (aggregates, concrete, ceramics);
- Determination of the water tightness of concrete;
Standard tests of mortars, concretes, aggregates, building ceramics:
- Design of the composition of mortars and concrete mixtures;
- Determination of physical-mechanical characteristics of mortars, concretes and finished products made of them, building ceramics;
Construction and mycological analyses
General Construction Workshop
In cooperation with and at the request of the Town Halls and the Commune Offices of the Lubusz Voividship and other local government units and economic entities it carries out the following tasks:
- Stock taking of buildings and structures,
- Assessment of technical condition,
- Examination and conservation of historic buildings,
- Analysis of the cultural value of buildings and urban units,
- Land development projects,
- Building adaptation and modernization projects,
- Thermal vision examination in the field of building physics,
- Thermal vision examination of structural defects and technological defects.
Selected equipment items: a Fluke Ti50 thermal imaging camera
Road and Bridge Laboratory
We carry out research on bridge components as well as entire bridge structures, including the drainage of bridges, bridge equipment and technical condition. We are also open to cooperation in terms of verification and research during investment processes in the construction industry such as the construction of bridges, culverts and passages for animals. Previous studies were conducted in cooperation with other Departments of the Institute of Structural Engineering of the University of Zielona Góra as well as external laboratories.
We conduct comprehensive research on aggregates, paving stones, concrete road and street elements, including drainage. Previous studies were conducted in cooperation with other Departments of the Institute of Structural Engineering of the University of Zielona Góra as well as external laboratories.
- Assessment of the technical condition of roads, culverts and bridges.
- Technical opinions in the field of transport infrastructure engineering.
- Stocktaking of roads and engineering objects.
- Detailed and special inspection (expert examination) of engineering objects.
- Load Tests on road and rail bridges.
Selected equipment: a Los Angeles drum; a shaker for sieve analysis, a set of sieves for sieve analysis of aggregates for the transport infrastructure industry, laboratory scales up to 3000 g, laboratory scales up to 15000 g, Fridge-freezer.
Detailed offer of cooperation:
For local governments and other administration units
- Detailed and special inspection (expert examination) of engineering objects
- Load Tests on road and rail bridges
- Assessment of the technical condition of roads, culverts and bridges.
- Technical expert opinions on roads and engineering objects.
- Design and technological recommendations for the transport infrastructure industry.
- Comprehensive examination of materials for the construction industry (aggregates, paving stones, concrete elements, road and bridge drainage systems, equipment components, etc.).
- Stocktaking of roads and engineering objects.
- Comprehensive examination of roads and bridges.
- Training and consultancy in terms of new technologies and materials.
For scientific-research units
- Joint research on: analyses of the behaviour of engineering structures (roads, bridges), static and dynamic load tests, mutual verification of the results of structural tests.
- Theoretical analyses of both road and bridge structures.
- Development of new optimum technologies for the construction and maintenance of transport infrastructure.
- Working as a subcontractor in the field of research and analysis of road and bridge structures.
Our previous activities included:
- Inspections of engineering objects.
- Load tests on bridges.
- Technical opinions for the transport infrastructure industry.
- Examination of road construction elements.
- Construction and testing of a trial street section of modified asphalt on the campus of the University of Zielona Góra
- Research and teaching seminars on: road aggregates, road and bridge drainage systems, modern technologies in transport infrastructure engineering
- Cooperation with other research centres in making recommendations for the transport infrastructure industry
Field of scientific research and research offer:
- soil examination for the construction industry, including subsoil identification, examination of soils with glacitectonic deformations, low-strength soils and areas damaged by mining,
- specialized field and laboratory studies using experimental ground engineering methods for analysing the soil-structure interaction,
- land examination for road construction: examination of soil compaction and slope and embankment stability, reinforcement of low-strength soils, quality control tests for earthworks,
- soil examination for environmental protection: laboratory and field studies of soil and municipal and industrial waste, soil studies for the construction of insulating blankets for landfills.
Selected equipment items: equipment for field Tests – a CPT self-propelled Probe, a Marchetti Dilatometer, a VSS bearing plate, a ZFG dynamic load plate, dynamic probes SD-10, SLVT, ITB-ZW, basic field drilling equipment, soil sampling kit. Laboratory equipment: computer-controlled triaxial compression device with a local strain measuring system and an additional CRS consolidation chamber, an automatic device for triaxial endurance test, direct shear (single-plane and multi-plane) devices, oedometers, mechanical and manual Proctor devices, laboratory rotary shears, a derivatograph, basic laboratory equipment for testing physical properties of soils.
The geodetic laboratory is equipped with modern geodetic equipment enabling the provision of services in the field of engineering geodesy, and in particular:
- situational-height measurements,
- determination of displacements and deformations of engineering objects with the geodetic interpretation of measurement results, including:
- determination of vertical displacements of structures (uneven settlement),
- determination of horizontal displacements of structures,
- determination of deviations from the vertical of slender structures (e.g. industrial chimneys) and other structures,
- determination of the geometrical shape of the overhang of stay ropes,
- determination of the shape of the deflection of girders,
- determination of deformations of bridge boards,
- determination of the deviation of a surface from flatness, level and the vertical position.
The equipment also makes it possible to perform the following type of work:
- determination of the volume of earth masses,
- determination of deformations of gas, liquid and bulk solids,
- measurements of the geometric condition of crane tracks.
Selected equipment items: DNA 03 precise digital surveying levels, a Leica TCRA 1203 digital total station, a Topcon GPT-3007N electronic total station, NI 007 precise levels, an NI002 precise level, Leica BUILDER T100 theodolites, Topcon AT-G7N technical levels, a PZL- 100 optical plummet, MOTOROLA transmitting-receiving instruments.
Laboratory of Engineering Structures
The Laboratory has a modern and well-equipped laboratory hall as well as excellent research equipment, which gives it enormous potential for conducting research, teaching and providing research and services for the industry. The laboratory hall is equipped with a ZXJ-5000 type crane with a span of 17.5 m and a lifting capacity of 5 tons, controlled from the ground. This is the only device of this type at the University of Zielona Góra. The mounted crane makes it possible to conduct tests on large scale structural components, which are unique in Poland. Products such as reinforced concrete rings and other elements used in the construction of sewage networks, including inspection, cascade and rinsing wells etc., concrete elements for road and bridge construction and finally concrete and reinforced concrete pipes for water and sewage systems and a number of other prefabricated elements.
The offer of the Laboratory of Engineering Structures comprises the following laboratory tests:
- tests of steel strength parameters: strength and deformability, hardness, impact resistance, fatigue tests, strength tests at high temperatures;
- tests of concrete: strength and immediate deformability, rheological features, fatigue tests, strength tests after annealing;
- tests of steel and reinforced concrete structural elements: bearing capacity and deformation, global stability, local stability;
- model tests of steel and reinforced concrete structures: bearing capacity and deformation, global stability, local stability;
- field tests of steel and reinforced concrete structures: displacement and deformation measurements (measurements using electrical resistivity strain gauges and the system for optical analysis of deformations Pontos, Aramis), load tests of buildings (including bridges), measurements of building and ground vibrations, non-destructive and destructive methods for the determination of the mechanical characteristics of concrete.
Selected equipment items: a set of instruments for non-destructive analysis of materials by acoustic emission, a steel frame stand, a reinforcement detector, a Schmidt hammer, a Pull-of- tester, an ultrasonic thickness gauge, a measurement amplifier set with electrical resistivity strain gauges and displacement sensors, a hardness tester, a digital strain gauge bridge, vibrometers, an ultrasonic material tester, a ZD-100 PU endurance tester with a pulsator, a Brinell Hardness Tester, a set of measurement amplifiers for strain gauge bridges, displacement and force sensors, a set of DC and WST 510 bridge amplifiers.
Material Strength Laboratory
The basic field of research and the research offer for the industry:
- strength tests of materials and structural components subjected to static, dynamic and cyclically changing load (fatigue tests), also in the case of flat stress states (load with two 500 kN computer controlled actuators according to independent load programmes),
- measurements of the dynamic characteristics of existing structures,
- obtaining cylinder samples for standard strength tests of concrete from existing objects and determination of concrete strength in the laboratory,
- pull-out strength tests of concrete from newly constructed, existing objects (removal of special steel anchors installed in the objects),
- measurements of the water permeability of concrete, coatings, walls and bonds in field conditions,
- fast and non-destructive thickness measurements of any non-magnetic coatings such as for example: anti-corrosion coatings, fire protection coatings, galvanic coatings, etc.,
- detection of defects in steel structures, welded joints, rolled products, etc.,
- Fast and non-destructive measurements of the thickness of elements accessible from one side which are made of steel, aluminium, Cu alloys, AL alloys, plastics, glass and other materials and are penetrated by an ultrasonic wave.
Selected equipment items: an SVAN 948 triaxial vibration measuring set with additional equipment, a digital ultrasonic defectoscope with equipment, a laptop for field testing, an ultrasonic thickness gauge. An INSTRON 8804 strength tester with a capacity of ± 500 kN with Pontos and Aramis 3D optical deformation systems and an additional ± 500 kN actuator with equipment and a steel frame. A set for obtaining roll samples of concrete with a generator.
Department of Construction Technology and Organization
This department does not have a separate workshop in the structure of the Laboratory of the Institute of Structural Engineering. However, it has employees with great knowledge and experience, who use the equipment of the Laboratory of the Institute of Structural Engineering and specialize in the following types of research:
- Sound level research in industrial, residential and special purpose objects.
- Examination of climatic characteristics of tenement, office and general purpose buildings.
- Radiological examination of buildings.
- Investigation of the ground support capacity for the foundation of buildings.
- Research on rheological processes in wooden structural and finishing elements.
Selected instruments: laser measuring equipment, a SVAN 948 four channel, digital vibration and sound level meter.